Thursday, April 5, 2012

Why Sub?


Jonnie explained why we felt the need to write these stories, so I will continue by explaining why I, at least, have found myself subbing. All names have been changed. 

I had been subbing for nearly a year and a half before I realized that the answer to this question wasn’t obvious to everyone. This isn’t the most exciting substitute story I have to tell, but I think it’s where I need to start this blog.

I was subbing at one of my regular middle schools, and the subject inevitably came up at the teachers’ lunch table:

“So have you finished with your degree?” Why does everybody keep asking me that? 

“Yeah, I graduated in 2010. I’m working on my master’s.”

“So are you certified?”   I nodded.

“In what?”

“English. My degree’s in English. And I have a Spanish minor so I went ahead and got my certification in that too.” At the time I had not been certified in any of the special education areas. As usual, this answer was met with murmurs of approval.

“You know, Cathy’s sub said she was certified too. You know, I heard they were going to start requiring four-year degrees for subs!” This took me off guard. Of course they do. Where have you been?

“Yeah, any new subs coming into the system have to be certified teachers.” She couldn’t believe that. I nodded and shrugged in agreement with her, but I didn’t know exactly where she was coming from. Then she unintentionally cut deep. 

“That’s crazy! Why would they do that? It’s not like you work your butt off in college for four years to become a sub!” 

Um, what? You're right. Why did I even bother with those silly four years if I just wanted to be a sub?


More and more subs are becoming subs out of necessity. Fewer and fewer are college students and retirees wanting a little extra money and a flexible schedule. When I graduated, teaching jobs were in short supply. Heck, some counties even had hiring freezes on substitutes. 

I had to do something. For a few months, I tutored, babysat, fed my neighbors’ dogs, and at about the time I got tired of doing jobs meant for thirteen-year-olds, the school district where I lived started hiring subs again. Everyone told me that subbing would be a great way to get my foot in the door, so I jumped in with optimism and enthusiasm. 

Has it worked? Well, let’s just say I have a lot more stories to tell. One of them will be "Why I Still Sub," when I answer that for myself. 

Love and thanks, Kelli


No comments:

Post a Comment