Monday, April 9, 2012

Three Days in the Sixth Grade: Black Button

I accepted a sub assignment for three days in the sixth grade at a middle school I swore I would never sub at again. I lied to myself. The only reason I accepted the sub assignment because it was guaranteed pay for three days, three days before spring break. I doubted the odds of getting a call for that Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at an other school would happen. So, I snatched the job before anyone else could log into the system and take it from me. A job is better than no job. Right?

I arrived early, because I'm a very punctual person. If you've seen the movie "Drumline" I relate to the band director who believes, "If you're on time, you're late." I get to the classroom and the door is locked. A nice teacher called for a custodian to open the door for me. I walked to the big desk in the center of the room closest to the white board, though most boards are now grey-more on that later, maybe. I find a note from a sub sitting on top of two weeks worth of attendance sheets. Already I've gotten a clue to what the day will hold for me. Students who have to endure weeks a sub, or subs, struggle with new authority in the classroom. Humans are creatures of habits. Even though some adults like to joke about teenagers and preteens not being humans, they are and they need structure and routine just like everyone else.

I meet the two team teachers and I'm told the teacher I'm subbing for has been ill for several weeks. A lady had been subbing consistently for the class but took the three days I was there for off because her son was getting married. The joke was I was the sub for the sub. First period was planning, second period went fine but third period was out of control. I tried some teacher techniques like turning off the lights to get the students' attention, clapping my hands, saying, "all eyes on me." Nothing worked. I stood there with my arms crossed looking at the chaos in front of me. I knew if I did not get their attention and establish I was the authority in the room then the next two days would be a nightmare. I walked over to the black button next to the light switch and buzzed the front office. The front office clerk asked what my emergency was over the intercom, and I told her I needed an administrator because the whole class was acting crazy. Within five seconds of the conversation between the intercom and me, the entire class had their Literature book open on their desk and you could hear a pin drop.

I had gotten their attention.



Once the administrator arrived I explained the situation to him and I told him I did not want the students to try and take advantage if me for the next three days. He understood and told the class I was the authority figure in the classroom and they needed to follow my instructions.

I will like for you, the reader, to know that was the first time I have ever pushed the black button for an administrator. During my practicum and student teaching experience I never came close to having to push the black button. However, I am learning sometimes as a sub you need to call for outside help to establish who has the authority in the classroom.

Three Days in the Sixth Grade to be continued.

~Jonnie

4 comments:

  1. I'm very proud of you! By reading your and Kelli's blog I realize that substitute teaching hasn't changed since I was a sub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading and thank you for the positive feedback. ~Jonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can I get one of those buttons?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir, I do not know where to get one of those black buttons. I accidentally pushed the black button once while looking for the light switch on the classroom wall.
    ~Jonnie

    ReplyDelete