Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Substitute's Pet

I just thought I'd add a little warm-spirited, cheesy- but- true, anecdote to off-set the last one.


Last school year, a sixth grade boy we’ll call  Joseph drew me a picture of a dragon. I didn’t expect that; it was one of the first times a student ever gave me anything nicely. I kept the picture in a notebook where I keep my substitute teaching materials.

A couple of weeks ago, I had Joseph in class again one Friday. He is now a seventh grader and a self-professed teacher’s pet. I told him I kept his drawing of the dragon. He was surprised I kept it.  I was surprised he remembered drawing it.

The very next Friday, I was back in Joseph’s homeroom class. At the end of the day when he came back for bus call he was holding a paper airplane in the shape of a red cardinal, color and all.

Sorry about the bad picture quality.

He said he made it in his free time in one of his other classes and it took him fourteen pieces of scrap paper. It really did fly until the second time he threw it and it got a little bent.

Joseph had no way of knowing this, but my aunt who passed away this past October loved those birds.  They always make me think of her.

He may be a teacher’s pet, but I’d take a room full of Jospeh’s any day.

Just a little fluffiness, Kelli

No comments:

Post a Comment