Saturday, April 7, 2012

Not Your Typical Sub

In the county I sub, a person only needs a high school diploma or GED to work as a substitute teacher. During the four hour long sub training session, the trainer informed us substitute teachers are classified as educators (Georgia Professional Commission Standards, 2b). A person with a Bachelor's degree and teacher certificate is paid more by the day, offered more sub assignments and is more likely to be offered a long-term sub position. Yet, a person with only a high school diploma is classified as an educator just like a person who went to college and earned a teacher certificate.

One morning I got a call to sub all day in a math class at a high school. The teacher's instructions clearly stated the students were not allowed to leave the room for any reason. If a student had to use the bathroom, the student must present their bathroom pass to me. During second block a student asked me if she could use the restroom. I asked her for her bathroom pass. Her response was, "You're a sub. You're supposed to be easy, let students do whatever and use the bathroom without a pass." I looked at her, after a moment's pause I said, "I'm not your typical sub."

This student didn't know and understand what I went through to get where I am today. I am the first traditional college student in my family. I am the first female to earn a college degree. After my high school graduation, I moved to college in a town four hours away from home without a vehicle. I worked a minimum wage job throughout college to pay for food, gas, textbooks, and etc. I took classes year round and graduated one semester early with honors. I paid over $200 to take the GACE exam and passed the first time.

I am not your typical sub.

~Jonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment