Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Name Badge

In the county I sub in the students are required to wear a picture ID at all times. This allows me to quickly glance at the ID, read the student's name and call him/her by name if their behavior is not appropriate. Once, when I called a student by name he stopped his bad behavior and sat there trying to figure out how I knew his name. At least he stopped his bad behavior.

I have a name badge for one of the high schools. It has my first initial, full last name, my picture, the word substitute and under substitute, certified teacher is written. I do not know why the county did not make a substitute badge for all the subs at the four hour long training session. It takes less than three minutes to take a picture and print the badge. I have seen the gentleman at the high school do it twice. The county issued badge would have the county name, the person's picture, name, the word substitute and if they are certified that would be printed on the badge as well. I personally think a county badge would be better for everyone because when I'm at a school and I'm forced to wear a bright neon colored sticker with the word, "substitute" on it, I feel I lose my credentials as an authority figure. When I'm at those schools I always introduce myself to the students as a certified teacher who will be their sub for the day. Once the students know I am familiar with the operations of a classroom they know I am not playing around when it comes to classroom management and enforcing school rules.

To every county who employs substitute teachers, think twice about the substitute sticker or badge. If the person worked hard enough to earn their teacher certification, please credit that person and stamp the words, "certified teacher" on his/her name badge. It will make a difference in the classroom. Thank you.

~Jonnie

2 comments:

  1. Oohh that's a good point. The other day, I was in a 7th grade classroom, and, desperate for anything to use to motivate them to behave, I mentioned field day time (Whoa that was a lot of commas). I'd been in classes before where the teacher or even the kids had told me "if they're bad, they lose field day time," and this was the same school, so I figured I'd give it a try. A kid said, "You can't take away our fiend day time! You're not even a real teacher!" I tried to hide how much that hurt, and said, "Actually I am." He asked if I worked at the school or not, and I pretended not to hear him.

    I so wish I had a badge with "certified teacher" stamped on it. Kids see me, young (I'm 24 but I LOOK 16), and think that somewhere in my life I made a terrible choice and this is my punishment. They respond in kind. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. A student once asked me why I decided to work as a substitute teacher. -_-

    If a student asks if I have worked as a teacher I always tell them the name of the school where I did my student teaching experience. That counts, right? I mean, I did have to teach ALL day, write lesson plans and grade papers. Seems legit.

    I'm 22 but I look 25-30 to these students. My downfall? I look "nice" and my voice is not loud, nor does it carry very far.

    ReplyDelete