Saturday, April 7, 2012

Just a Sub Part 1


In keeping with Jonnie's story, here is a similar one. 



You learn quickly that when the teacher next door comes over to apologize in advance for the students you’ll have that day, it’s going to be a long day.

That’s what happened my first day of subbing.

“Stop talking!" I said to the first period class in my best teacher voice. "Your teacher specifically said he wants you to do this silently.”

Fifteen faces looked at me with blank stares before turning around and continuing their conversations. The other twenty never even noticed I had spoken.

“On your yellow sheet of paper you are going to make a chart with the information in your notebook.”

Immediately following these instructions were  at least three hands in the air accompanied by chorus of “What do we do with the yellow paper?!”

This combined with attempting to switch seats, jumping up to slap the clocks in the hall, crawling around under the desks, jumping over chairs like hurdles, smearing crumbs and juice all over the floor, hitting each other, poking each other in the eyes and throwing paper airplanes every time my back was turned—And really, Kid? You’re going to break your pencil, throw It at somebody and then ask me for another one? -- made for a very long first day. They were sixth graders, by the way.

Yep, first day. I didn’t know the school. I didn’t know the kids. I didn’t know the teachers. And even though I had been through various student teaching experiences, I didn't know this job.

By the end of the day, the stress must’ve shown, because the kids got worse. If some animals can smell fear, kids can smell fatigue. The exception was one young lady who was one of the most outspoken students in the class.  She attempted something the others probably never thought of: an apology.

Except, it came out like this: “I’m sorry we’ve been so bad. It’s just…it’s Friday, and you’re a sub.”

Oh right, that explains it all. Thanks.

But sadly, it does explain it all. Each time I walk into a classroom for the first time, I am met with this same attitude. I have learned how to deal with it better over time, but it's always there. This series of posts that I will call “Just a Sub” will tell those stories.

Where do this young lady and her peers get it from? I know I had only met her that morning.

Stayed tuned. I have a theory. 

Thank you, Kelli 



No comments:

Post a Comment