Saturday, May 19, 2012

Moments Like This

Sometimes teachers or staff at schools treat me like I'm a stupid person. Sometimes students treat me with no respect. This post is about the times students have reminded me why I went to college to become a teacher.

Two students at a middle school once told me I was the first teacher they knew who fully understood children. There are students I've subbed in their class only once who yell out, "Hi Mrs. J!" as they walk down the hall to their class. Some students will stop me in the hall to chat. Once I walked into a classroom and a student ran up and hugged me.

Yesterday I was sent to cover a class during my "planning" period. The class was assigned to work on a study guide and most worked together to complete it. I was talking to the students closest to the teacher's desk. The students wanted to know what I thought of the area since I moved here. I told the students I believe there is a lot of racial tension in the area. One of the students gave me a high-five when I said this and told me she was happy she was not the only one who thought the same thing. I told the students it really surprised me the first time I sent a student out of the room for being disruptive and off-task, the student exclaimed, "It's because I'm black!" (I did talk to the student when he returned to class to explain why I sent him out of the room. I've subbed for his teachers several times since the incident and his behavior was excellent every time). I also told the students about the time a student called me a racist when I asked for him to hand me his Bop-it toy and ear buds. I explained to the students who were listening I knew the student was only seeking attention and was trying to get a reaction from me. My only reaction was to tell the student to sit down and do his work. After my two short stories the students shared with me times when a teacher has written them up.

One student explained he was at his locker and there were other students at their lockers as well. While he was getting his stuff out of his locker a teacher came up to him and told him it was not locker time and he needed to put his stuff back into his locker. The student tried to explain to the teacher he needed his notebook and book for class. The teacher took the student's explanation as back-talking and wrote a referral.

After listening to the student's story I told him in situations like that one it is better to keep your mouth shut. I know you were only trying to tell your side of the story, but when a teacher or adult is giving you instructions to do something, it's best to follow the instructions and keep quiet. If you try to explain your side of the story it will only be interpreted at being disrespectful and back-talking. It's ok if the person doesn't know your side of the story, you know your story, let them keep their side of the story. I know it's frustrating, but it's better than receiving a referral and spending days in ISS. Sometimes adults don't understand children and their actions, thoughts, and motives. Sometimes you just have to deal with misunderstandings.

The student just stared at me and said, "You're amazing." The girl who gave me a high-five said, "You should be principal."

In those moments when students feel like an adult took the time to listen to them, took the time to understand them, those are the moments I love. I may only work as a substitute teacher, but I can make a difference in a child's life.

~Jonnie

2 comments:

  1. You know, as much as students say, "You're not a real teacher," I have noticed that when I teach them long-term or sub for their class short term and acknowledge them personally, they are on my side for good. They may drive me crazy while I have them, but when they see me again, they're the best students in the class. That's true no matter how bad they were the first time, or how many times I wrote them up. When I tell people I am a substitute teacher, they always ask me if the students are disrespectful, but it's not the students who make this job hard. They make it worth while.

    ReplyDelete